Friday, May 27, 2011

Brownie Pops

Nalani got to take treats to school today to celebrate her birthday with her classmates.  She told me she didn't want to take cupcakes, "everyone" takes cupcakes she told me, she wanted something unique.  I surfed the internet and asked my Facebook friends what I should make.  Nalani shot down the idea of cake pops when I told her how they were made, "That is GROSS to smoosh up cake with frosting mom!" plus it was made of the same thing as cupcakes!  So it was back to the drawing board.  Finally we settled on brownie pops, as long as it didn't require I smoosh brownies up with frosting!  I had made the same thing for her birthday party last year but I had cut the brownies much larger and they were WAY too big to eat without feeling ill!


I baked a batch of box mix brownies in a 7"x11" pan so they were a little thicker.  Cut them in squares, probably a little larger than 1" I think I got 28 out of the pan.  I put the brownies in the freezer for a little while because the internet tutorials I read told me too. I melted a bag of chocolate chips in the microwave with a little vegetable oil (not sure what the oil does...makes it a little runnier, shiny??  I don't know but again, the internet told me to!)  I then stuck lollipop sticks from Walmart into the brownie squares and dipped them in the chocolate and added a few sprinkles to make them festive.  I then put the dipped brownies back in to the freezer to cool the chocolate.  They turned out pretty cute, anything on a stick and dipped in chocolate has to be better then any old cupcake!  AND they were voted best birthday treat of the year by her class!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy, brownie pops! I just made cake pops last week. But I have decided canned frosting just does not taste good. So next time I smash up "GROSS" ;-) cake balls I am using real frosting! Brownie pops sound much better and easier! And chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job super mom! Those turned out cute and sound much easier and less messy than cake pops.

    ReplyDelete