Monday, May 23, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake

I love to decorate cakes.  They aren't fancy and I don't get involved with fondant or icing flowers but I have made some cute things for birthday parties and baby showers.  This weekend I made a batch of baseball cupcakes for Nalani's team party.  They aren't my best work but all of the kids knew they were baseballs so I thought that was half of the battle!

These were very simple, just frosting and Red Vines licorice cut in strips

Here are a few others I have done:

This was a basketball cake for Jaren's 7th birthday, I can't get the picture to rotate so it is going the wrong direction but the cake looks the same from any angle. 

This was just frosting dyed orange and then black shoelace licorice.  I used my fancy schmancy Betty Crocker domed baking pan so it actually looked like half of a ball on a plate.

I think these two are my favorites by far!  I did them for my sister's baby shower.  They look EXACTLY like the lion & monkey on the plates, napkins etc.

These were both made using a teddy bear face cake pan from Michael's.  For the monkey I cut the ears off and moved them lower on the head since that is where the monkeys ears were on the paper goods.  The lion's mane was an apricot fruit roll-up cut in triangles (his nose too).  Eyes on both are chocolate chips (pointy side down), monkey nose is a large chocolate disk, mouths are licorice shoelaces

This is also a favorite of mine.  Jaren's 8th birthday was at a slotcar racing place so the figure 8 race track was perfect! 
This was two 9" round cakes, frosted in chocolate frosting, crushed chocolate wafer cookies for the racetrack, white Good N' Plenty candies for the dotted white line and I piped red frosting around the edges.  The cars are little cars that he had, smaller and flatter than Hot Wheels.

I am pretty fond of these too!  These were for my nephew's 1st birthday.  Cookie Monster's cookie cupcakes were his "smash" cake.

These all started out as 9" round cakes.  Elmo and Cookie Monster were trimmed so their head shape were correct.  Their eyes are both cupcakes with Junior Mints for their pupils.  Mouths are crushed chocolate wafer cookies.  Elmo's nose is just an orange circle cut from paper because I couldn't find anything edible to use.  Cookie cupcakes are just frosted in a light tan color and chocolate chips are....chocolate chips!  Big Bird's beak is a sugar cone frosted with yellow frosting, eyes are marshmallows, pupils are chocolate chips and I found the perfect sour candy belts in the bulk candy section for his pink & blue eye lids, his top knot feathers are feathers from the craft store.


These aren't anything special but I thought I would go ahead and show you a little "snowscape" I did for a class winter party.
Snowmen are a jumbo cupcake, regular cupcake and a mini.  Scarves are sour candy belts, arms are brown pipe cleaners, buttons and eyes are chocolate chips, noses are cut up orange slices candy, the mouths are little chocolate jimmies/sprinkles painstakingly lined up.  Snowflakes were just candy cake decorations

Hopefully I have inspired you to make a cake of your own!

5 comments:

  1. Very creative...I like the baseball cupcakes. I just might make them for our next work bake sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute cakes Miss Heather! I especially love the 8 race car cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those cakes! I keep saying I'm going to try to decorate a cake one of these days...I'll use these for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. blogger's working today! I can post a comment ;-)

    Great cakes, I love the Sesame street cakes the best, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang...you've been hiding this Martha F'ing Stewart side of yourself, haven't you?

    I can't even frost a cupcake...I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete