Monday, May 16, 2011

Vinegar.....the cure all

I use vinegar for all kinds of things;
  1. Use it in the water to mop the floor
  2. Use it in the laundry to get that nasty smell out when you forget to switch the laundry and the wet clothes have been in the washer a tad too long
  3. Soak other stinky clothes in it before washing - it kills the bacteria causing the stench AND it keeps colors bright
  4. and of course to dye easter eggs! 
Well, the other day I read another use for vinegar.  I may have read it online or maybe in a magazine at the orthodontist office or at hip-hop dance class, I can't remember!  But it said to pour it on weeds that come up in cracks in the sidewalk or in your landscaping rocks.  I am going to give it a try because from the looks of it I can use any help I can get! 
I am wondering if they meant weeds to quite this degree or just a few here and there.....I will report back on how it works! 

**UPDATE** - Yes, vinegar kills weeds.  I didn't pour it on the jungle pictured above though.  I thought I would start small and I put it on the weeds that were growing in the cracks in my driveway.  They are now dead, I am a tad disappointed that it doesn't just disolve them, but it kills them and makes it easier to pull.  And in case you are concerned, all of the weeds in my landscaping rocks are gone also, I pulled them all by myself after it rained recently when the ground was damp which made pulling them easy!  So if you have weeds in your rocks or in cracks in a sidewalk go ahead and douse them in vinegar.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, let me know how well the vinegar works on your weeds! Also, I too use vinegar and water to clean our hardwood floors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking I should pull them and then spray vinegar on the roots if they won't come out. I think maybe mine are a little too abundant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say pour a few bottles on it...straight up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fav use for vinegar is to descale my Kuerig Coffee pot. And report back if it helps on the weeds.

    ReplyDelete