Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Tuesday Ten

I must be busy, or boring - no posts since last week's Tuesday Ten!
This weeks Tuesday Ten is a special weekend baseball tournament edition and quite a bit more than ten!  It was quite an experience!

1. We had been on the road for about 30+ minutes when we meet a teammate going the opposite direction.  They were headed back home to get his bag with all of his baseball gear.

2. A little back story - I am usually VERY good with directions, I can always get us anywhere, however back when I was a senior in high school I applied to and was accepted to two colleges - Sacramento State and Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo.  One of the main reasons why I chose to attend Cal Poly is because it has one freeway, Hwy 101 - the same freeway we have here.  Sacramento has WAY too many freeways going way too many directions.

3. We got lost.

4.  We had to get on I-5.  I believe I didn't start looking for a way to get on to I-5 until we were past it.  Mapquest led me astray. It left out the important bit of info about getting on I-80 Business Loop to access 5.  We went for a really long time on I-50, waiting to get on I-5.  A REALLY long time.  Like 9 miles outside of Placerville long.

5.  My husband is an assistant coach.  We were almost to Placerville.  The other assistant coach AND all of the team gear were dropped off at the wrong field.  And left there by his wife that had another kid to get to another field.

6.  The head coach was at the correct field.  With 8 players, 2 without cleats, no assistant coaches or gear.

7.  The wife came back to get the other coach.  They got lost trying to get across town.

8. We all arrived 5 minutes before game time - gear, coaches and players.

9.  Lost the first game 11-7, should have won but we fell apart one inning.  Went to a sandwich shop that took forever and cost a fortune.

10. Tied the 2nd game 5-5, the umps just walked off and said it was a tie.  Ummmm, OK I guess. We really wanted to win.

11.  Checked in to hotel.  Find out Head coach and his family lost their car key, their only car key, they had their little clicker button thing but the key had fallen off their key ring. Can't find it anywhere.  The people at lost and found tell them to pray to St. Sebastian, check the ignition and to check back tomorrow.  All very helpful suggestions.

12.  $250 later they have a two new car keys and get to the hotel 3 hours after everyone else.

13. Uneventful evening of swimming in the pool, dinner, sleep.

14. Very crappy hotel breakfast.

15.  Lost first game of the day 10-8 but it was against a team that had beat everyone else by 10+ so the boys did well.  The teams are all 11 years old.  There were boys on that team that made our coaches look small.  Guess there is nothing to do in Galt except eat, and play baseball.

16. The family that had to go back home to get their ball bag back in #1, well they now locked their keys in their car.  Call to locksmith 2nd time this weekend for our team.

17.  Second game of the day we won 26-1.  The first half of the 1st inning took 40 minutes.  We batted through our line-up 2 1/2 times.  We have been on the other end of that before so we felt bad for the other team.  One of our boys hit a grand slam.  Very hard to celebrate when you are whipping the other team so badly.  But at least it was a happy ending to one heck of a weekend!

Wish you could see the scoreboard a little better in the picture!

3 comments:

  1. I've come to realize that baseball is exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, talk about bad car luck! I agree with Lara, baseball sounds exhausting. And I don't know how you don't drink coffee! I would need lots of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baseball is only as exhausting as you make it. I tend to make it very exhausting! If I wasn't in charge of a lot of it and have a kid on a traveling team it wouldn't be nearly as much work!

    ReplyDelete